What Is TMJ Therapy?
What your dentists in Framingham want you to know
TMJ means temporomandibular joint, which is a major joint attaching your jawbone to your skull. It helps you perform important tasks like speaking and chewing your food. The TMJ is also a unique joint because it is the only joint in your body that moves in a sliding hinge motion. Because of its unique movement, it can also move out of correct alignment, causing muscle, tendon, and ligament strain and inflammation. Dr. James Cinamon and Dr. Paul Hubley at the Cinamon & Hubley Dental Practice in Framingham, MA want to share their knowledge of the TMJ.
When you have symptoms from the TMJ, you may develop a syndrome known as TMD, or temporomandibular dysfunction. Inflammation of the TMJ can lead to various signs and symptoms, including:
- Chronic headaches
- Aching, radiating facial pain
- Aching pain around or in your ear
- Jaw pain or tenderness
- Difficulty or pain while chewing or opening your mouth
- Popping or clicking when you chew
- Locking when you open and close your mouth
Your dentists in Framingham want you to try a few simple tips to get relief from TMJ symptoms. Remember to:
- Eat soft foods whenever possible
- Avoid sticky, chewy foods and chewing gum
- Avoid clenching or grinding your teeth
- Gently massage your jaw muscles several times each day
- Use ice or moist heat packs on your face and jaws
- Take pain and anti-inflammatory medication like Tylenol or ibuprofen
For stubborn TMJ symptoms that don’t respond to conservative therapy, you need to seek the help of the experts. They can help with several effective treatments including:
- Prescribing sedatives, muscle relaxants or pain medication
- Custom-made bite guards or splints
- Stretches and physical therapy
- Corticosteroid injections into the TMJ
If you think you might be suffering TMJ symptoms, don’t wait to seek out help. Early diagnosis and treatment of TMJ symptoms can keep the problem from getting worse. You deserve to live your life free of pain from TMJ symptoms. It’s time to call Dr. Cinamon and Dr. Hubley at the Cinamon & Hubley Dental Practice in Framingham, MA. Call today and feel better tomorrow!